Thursday, May 28, 2020

Overwhelmed

Summer classes have started, which means this blog will probably go down to one post a week. I would love to keep up with the unspoken twice a week postings, but reality is I have finite resources of time and energy. So, once a week will be the new goal.

The title of the post doesn't refer to the blog itself being overwhelming, but the little things in life that add up and sometimes leave us staring at a long list of to dos wondering where to start first. California is stating to open up, which means the tasks that have been put off amidst the pandemic are suddenly become a pressing need. On the other hand, not everything is opening, life is requiring a new set of copings skills that can balance risk assessment with law abiding. Be it "to dos" or "I don't knows", life can be overwhelming.

Failing, failing, so much to do. So little time.
Flailing, flailing, how do I get it all done? How do I stay afloat?
Falling, falling, getting more behind. Is there an end in sight?
Filling, filling, all my life with problems.
Failing, failing, what is life but flailing?

Dismal, but most people I know feel like this at some point. I don't have any brilliant answers to this feeling, but it seems to me that pausing can help. Not that it will make all the stressors go away, but it at least allows the panic a place to scream its head off. It also give space for the reminder that we don't have to do it all to regain footing. Because Christians don't have to be perfect it allows for a Miss Frizzle mindset. Failing, falling, and flailing are all ok. All perfection does is fill life with more problems and I think we can all agree, it's got enough its own without me cultivating more.

Life is more than flailing, but somedays it just takes a little longer to reach the side of the pool. Don't worry though, most of us have enough body fat we can float there, we just need to take a moment and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment