Thursday, May 7, 2020

Green Thumb Update

Last Thursday I wrote about the garden saying we'll see if anything else gets planted. Well, without having read my witty writing, after work my sister walks up to me and says "what do you want planted in the garden?" Apparently it was an assignment for her plant science class, but I must say the timing was impeccable. That evening we planted watermelon which, when I last checked were still alive. 


Inspired that two more seedlings found I home, over the weekend I planted all the leafy greens in pots and placed them on the porch. It made sense at the time, the porch has sun in the morning and shade during the hottest part of the day, unlike the garden which is full sun all day. There is also a hose and other plants that get watered regularly, so they wouldn't die from dehydration, a fate all too common with potted plants in my care. I was even an over achiever and carefully labeled each green, so we'd know what was what. Imagine my shock a day or two later when I went to water the plants and found all except the spinach had been eaten! 



The chance of an animal nibbling on our produce is rather high. Living in the country we are surrounded by birds, gophers, rabbits, coyotes, squirrels, skunks, possums, the occasional raccoon, and snakes. So, plants or fruits being devoured by a non human creature isn't unheard of but these were on the house porch. What is the point of having dogs if they can't keep rabbits off the porch!?! So now the pots are back on the picnic table, right next to the dogs nightly haunt, and we wait to see if the plants can recover or if the seeds will need to be planted all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment