Sunday, March 3, 2013

I got the power!


This morning I woke up to discover the power is out. Thankfully I took a shower yesterday. (A reminder for the city folk; Our water comes from a well, no power means the pump doesn't work, which means no water). I got to thinking; at least I can call out and still have my computer, thank goodness for battery power. Then silly me decided to check my emails. Of course it didn't come up because our wireless and signal boxes are powered! I often can’t help but wonder, if we were to lose electricity or heaven forbid internet, how well would most of us survive.

A couple of days ago I had an unintentional “fast” from my phone when I went to work without it. No texting, or calling, or, well I intentionally have a dumb phone so internet searches don’t happen anyway. And you know what, when I got home, I didn’t have one text or call that I had missed. Nicole Alvernaz being reachable instantaneously is not vital to world survival. After constantly being able to call someone at any time, it’s a bit of a shock and yet so freeing. Like the times I shut off my phone and become unreachable. What is it that makes most of us feel required to have our phones 24/7 and answer them? Sorry rephrase, what makes many of us, feel required to always have our phones?

Alright enough with the pondering, it’s time for breakfast. I suppose me posting this means I have power back. In the mean time if I’m not answering, try smoke signals, because fire never goes out of date.

For those curious as to the outcome, power was back on by the time we got home from Church. So we didn’t have to suffer too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment