Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lent


At the start of the season I had a whole blog written delving into the history behind it and why people fast during it. I realized I didn't understand how Lent became what it is or how it came to be. And then I left it. It’s sitting there, in drafts waiting to be used. But it seemed off, something was missing from it. 

On Tuesday I learned what that was missing, Hot Crossed Buns. Yes, as in the rhyme. Hot Crossed Buns are made during the season of Lent; the cross in the title refers to the cross of frosting on the buns. The Buns themselves should be eaten fresh and are oddly dense. (At least the one I had was). They are DELICIOUS! I shared one on Tuesday with Leila, as we discussed life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. (Ok, ok, maybe we only really talked about life, but the others are a part of that).

And that’s what I was missing. With all my well meaning fervor and desire to learn, I’d missed the simplicity, closeness and joy that can come even when figuring out difficult stuff. Lent is a time to head to a bakery, order a pastry and cup of coco and just chill with God. Give Him the down low on your life, listen He tells you how much He loves you and challenges and comforts you.  

Maybe someday I’ll post the rest of what I learned about lent. But for now I’ll stick with the Hot Cross Bun and frosting. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow. That was deep.
    And wouldn't you know it, now I have the song stuck in my head... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Got to admit, it was stuck in my head too.

    ReplyDelete