Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Blog is Making Me Face Palm


I hate to say this, and they will probably hate me if they ever find out, but some of my brethren are anime freaks. I’m sorry, but it’s true. Despite what some of them try to claim in ridiculous fashion that, “they’ve seen the least, and they don’t know what you’re talking about…”
The bug apparently bit in college, I’m not sure what started it, but it became very infections. When I found out I said “WHAT?!?” I’ve never desired to watch it; the drawings themselves made me dislike it and the few random episodes I watched with a friend I didn’t really appreciate. I mean it was ok, but not really my cup of tea.
But as time went my siblings started nagging me to watch it, I didn’t want to, but they were inviting me in so, in solidarity, decided to give it a try. I wouldn’t call myself a “fan”, (of course some may say I’m simply in denial), but true confession, I’ve actually found myself enjoying it some. (Insert face palm here). 
I have now seen enough episodes that I understand why people like it. It’s because if you can get past the drawings and silliness, anime has a lot of depth to at least the ones I’ve seen. (Unfortunately some of the series are very long. Very, very long, unending as it were, like the Wheel of Time, but it does allow for a lot of character development).
Most of the characters have pain somewhere in their back story. You may not know it at first, they may be the “privileged” or “lucky” one when first introduced; an “antagonist” to the main character who’s trying to overcome the crazy odds, (the main character always has something tragic in their story). But as the tale unfolds, you learn most characters have pain. The stories are generally along these lines: No family, a loved one has died, they are ostracized in fear, they never felt loved, they’ve failed to live up to expectations, they’ve become cynical and jaded, they are rejected, want revenge for the hurt, they have no talent and just aren’t quite good enough.  
They are trying to find somewhere they fit in, to be accepted, and that’s the other half of the show. Someone reaching out to them, making them feel valued. Whether it’s a bad guy who twists that affection and warps the person (usually as a child) or the hero reaching out and “rescuing” people from the darkness and solitude.
In essence, anime depicts living in community with people who care about you despite your quirks, (and some of characters have some really, really annoying, borderline disturbing quirks), who you might fight with, but when push comes to shove they’ve got your back, who challenge you to excellence and encourage you to go beyond your breaking point to get stronger.  
It’s a reminder of people’s stories may not be what you think. Everyone has baggage they carry with them, some is just darker than others. People crave community; everyone wants to be accepted. In short, it’s a picture of “the Church”. 
Don't believe me, I can't blame you. But I can challenge you, watch a few episodes and see. You might be surprised at what you discover. 
Oh and for the record, if you do try it and don't like it it's ok, really. In this I will support you fully.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, this totally fits with an article that just got posted a day after your post! Crazy...

    http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/whole-life/your-life-more-epic-you-think

    "Everyone knows that good stories are built on good characters"
    "When the ordinary is depicted in an unfamiliar world, the contrast helps it stand out, helps us grasp it and learn to value it again."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say, I'm ahead of my time. If barely. It's true though. Must say, the second one's a bit deep,

    ReplyDelete