Saturday, August 17, 2013

10 Years Back

In fine sister bonding, I dug out an early assignment to my English 1A class to show Suzi who's started her illustrious Merced College career this week. I'd run across the other day when weeding out old college papers and the post-it-note from the teacher caught my eye. It ran as follows:

8-21-03 (yes, I'm dating myself)

"Nicole,

Welcome to Merced College. You may need awhile to feel settled in as you make the transition from high school. Anyone who voluntarily reads Ivanhoe must really love to read!

Thanks for your comments."

(Suzi says Ivanhoe has to go in italics 'cause its the name of a book. Truthfully I forgot MLA format as soon as I possibly could. My poor English teacher would weep).

Naturally, this made me curious to what I actually wrote, and why in the world I mentioned Ivanhoe. I mean I like the book, but unless I had just been reading it, I have no idea why I would mention it. Sadly, I still have no idea because I don't have the answers to the actual survey, however assignment it was stuck to had some interesting, entertaining answers of it's own.

For those who didn't know me at that time, here is a glimpse of Nicole Alvernaz, barely 18, at the beginning of her college education, typed word for word. I even left the spelling the same.

6. Make a list of at least ten things that you are curious about:

I am curious of what my major is, how my grades will be in college, and will I attend a four year university.  If I do continue my education where will [I] continue it.

I am curious to know when I will finally get my licence. I wonder what color my parents are going to paint the knew car. 

I desire to know how car engines and other things work.

I am curious about what went on in my grandfathers life.

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in my baby sisters head. [That would have been Heidi].

Most of all I am curious to know what my next meal will be

It's nice to know, that no matter the passage of time, some things remain the same. I know the answer to some of these questions, others I may have given up on, like Heidi's head, but I still can't spell and I still wonder about food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment