Tuesday, October 2, 2012

To Everything....There is a Season

Photo Thanks to Leila Jewell
For all those tired of the heat, and worried that fall will never come, fear not. I have it on excellent authority that by Mid October it will be too cold for swimming.

Who is this infallible source of hope for sweat drenched humanity. Mom. "Is her tailbone hurting?" I hear you ask. Nope. (I know because I asked her the same question). Her knowledge comes from a source more reliant. "What?" I hear you ask, "There's something more accurate than that?" Yup. Childhood memory.

 Apparently, when she was a little girl she always wanted a swim party for her birthday. (My grandparent's had a fantastic pool in Fresno. I think Mom lived in it during Fresno summers as a child). It could be hot right up to her birthday, but on the actual day it was always too cold to go swimming.

I will confess I have been disheartened about the weather myself. I enjoy having seasons, it's harvest time for pete's sake, that means it should be fall, not unending Indian Summer. But the other day at Hilmar Lumber I heard one of our regulars commenting on how in the '50's he'd always be swimming in the canal in October because it was so hot. Truth or not, I couldn't say. But if he was unfazed by the weather, why should I, who has only seen 27 summers fret?

Same as Above
So take heart my miserable Californian friends. (Specifically those on the coast). The cool weather is coming. Soon I'll be griping about cold mornings, jackets and layers, and ice on the windshield, but rejoicing in coco, blankets and foggy mornings.

2 comments:

  1. haha, I love how you write! I can totally hear you talking as I read it, and it makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's probably Dad always told us, write like you talk. That may have been due to the fact that our verbal skills were far above our written ones...Whatever the reason, it stuck. Glad you were able to enjoy it.


    ReplyDelete