Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Nicole + Europe. Word Vom Version

Well I made it to Europe, it took 29 hours, three planes, a bus, and two trains, but I made it. It was only supposed to be one train, but the door didn't open so I missed the stop. Thankfully, trains here are much more common than at home so I was able to catch another one and actually get off the second time round.

Since then I've developed a cold, and a horrible case of jet lag. I keep telling myself I'm too tough to be tired, but the lag knows no master.

On Saturday, after cleaning all morning, Emily, myself and some of her friends, hopped half a dozen trains to get to and from Vienna. The way there was supposed to be one train, but the bus made us miss our train, then the conductor of the next train said we could get on, but when he came to take our ticket he told us we either had to pay a bunch of money or get off. We decided to get off and try to figure out if another train was going to come by. There was another train coming that wouldn't kick us off, but we had an hour wait.  By that time everyone was hungry, so we went to the store and bought food for dinner and breakfast.

Random side note, the stores here have a circle tree logo, it makes me think of MH.

We caught the train only to discover that no other "slow train" was going to Vienna that night (please keep in mind were not even half way there yet and it's already night). The conductor on this train however was MUCH more helpful and he called to see if we could ride the fast train for free since it was the transportation people that messed up. He was told NO. So Em suggested we pray, which we did. The conductor decided to try again and this time he got a YES! We were stoked.

Because we got in so late that night we basically just hung out and didn't see much of the city that night. It was weird walking around Vienna the next morning. In some ways it was just like a normal big American city, but in other ways it was very different. I can't fully explain how except to say, the McDonalds look much nicer.

It only took three trains to get back. It was nice to be in the right place at the right time.

Since then life has continued to be crazy busy, as we finish cleaning, and Emily and friends pack in the last minute fun before they have to leave.

Monday night was a staff dinner at a nice restaurant, (they let me come) and then, well I don't know what it's actually called, I call it Austrian Bowling. The balls are smaller and only have two holes, also the point system/pin set up is different. I did better when I went over to Team 2 where my "family"was.

Tuesday after work I went on a walk with Emily, the countryside is awesome here! Later we had a bonfire and made stick bread.

Conclusions from Austria so far,
US needs some castles. Cathedrals are cool, but I would HATE to try to run sound in one.  I now recognize what "next stop" on a train sounds like in Austrian. Jet lag stinks. Kabobs are amazing. Big fire, stick bread with chocolate, fellowship, guitar/singing keeps me awake pretty dang good. German has enough words similar to English, that on rare occasion I get the gist of what is being said. I do not understand Spanish from Spain.  (Not that I understand it anyway).

I think that's long enough. And I've caught up to today anyway. I don't know when I'll have internet again or if I'll ever post anything ever again. So enjoy this for as long as you can.

Nicole. Out.

1 comment: