Monday, December 9, 2013

Soapbox and Dust Mop

I have found my muse, at least for today, its name is Dust Mop; but first, a soapbox moment.

People have this bad habit of thinking it is ok to drop their unwanted pets off in the country. I’m not sure if it’s the idea that they won’t bother anyone or they can fend for themselves and have a chance to live or if it’s just that they’re cheap, whatever the reasoning it’s not ok.

Growing up we went through a lot of dogs and only one was a drop off we kept. The rest made their way to the pound. Thankfully the recent strays around the Home Ranch have been little dogs that you know a good kick to the ribs will deter.

To all the people out there who have, or are considering abandoning their mutts no matter how “friendly” and “loveable”:

1) I don’t want your dog, if I wanted a dog, I’d get a dog and it probably wouldn’t be your dog.

2) I don’t know your dog; to me it is a strange, potentially rabid beast.

3) I certainly do NOT appreciate being growled or barked out in my OWN YARD! Especially at night when I can’t see the size of the mysterious growling.

Dog's "bowl" and "cushion". Thanks cuz.
Which brings us back to Dust Mop; Dust Mop randomly showed up one night, and proceeded to announce its presence by barking and growling at me as I got out of my car, in my garage and went into my house. At first I ignored it thinking it was The Stud.

Studdly was a punting sized dog that showed up months ago with Drowned Rat dog. The Stud had the walk of a jock and the arrogance of a self inflated ego that was grating. Drowned Rat wasn’t so bad, hating Drowned Rat would have been like tripping a blind toddler and taking their toy away, it was so ugly it was pathetic.
As I said, The Stud was a different manner, it was self proclaimed “tough guy” and decided its job was to claim the yard for its own, especially from that threatening, afternoon book reader, on the lawn. So it would charge barking as fast as its little legs could carry it until I’d look up. Then it would stop and run back a few paces, until my back was turned or I went back to your book, then it had to prove its kingship once again. To make matters worse it would decide our lawn needed redecorating compliments of the trash bin, and would try to steal food from the co-op.

It was the Co-op looting that caught Drowned Rat, but Studdly, wilier, remained. On the brighter side, without having to constantly prove itself it became less aggressive and started to roam further, translation, I have to see it less often.  

Don't let the picture fool you.
So two nights ago, when I heard the barking and growling I assumed it was The Stud. But about half way to the house I realized the sound was wrong. (Yes that is how often the obnoxious pest has harassed me; I know its stupid little bark).  It wasn’t until the next morning I saw our new ragamuffin, Dust Mop. Like The Stud before it, Dust Mop has decided to claim the yard for its own.  And it’s gets worse, thanks to my cousins husband who brought dog food for it, it now thinks my parking space is it’s permanent home and resents the inconvenience of having to move when I return to the Home Ranch.

Aunt Judy claims she got to "pet" Dust Mop Sunday morning on her way out, but when she returned that afternoon it was back to barking and growling. I can’t say the same thing, the closest I’ve come to “friendly dog” was this morning when I went to get a picture. It got within 5 feet without barking or growling. I was stunned.

I know Dust Mop is someone’s pet. It has a decent collar. If you are missing your pet, or know whose pet this might be, please come get it. My Dad’s guys have a soft spot for dogs like this and it will be feed tidbits which means it will never leave. And I’m really tired of coming home at night, unloading my car, to be barked and growled at by an ungrateful mutt that’s confused enough to think I’m the intruder!

Sigh, one of these days a dog’s gonna be called Kicked in the Ribs. A name that sums up the story so eloquently.



As to what will happen if Studdly returns, I really have no idea. Only one can be King of the Ranch, of course that’s assuming Studdly returns while Dust Mop is still here. But this is the country, and if you learn one thing young, it's that an outside pet’s life is never guaranteed. 




2 comments:

  1. I like the video. 'the lighting is cool on the dog's fur, and it's an effective example.
    i'm glad you found a muse, and 'dust mop is a good name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the lighting was completely coincidental. And although I'm loath to admit anything positive in relation to the dog, it is kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete