Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Time to Pay it Forward

There are many things I didn't realize as a kid. But one thing I knew, being a grown up meant work. What kid wants that? So when asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I wisely said I didn't want to grow up. And to a certain extent I've succeeded. As my family likes to say, "you're only as old as you think you are."

But I can't completely hold back the clock. I am an adult. A fun loving, childish one perhaps, but a grown up all the same.

I work 40 hour weeks and volunteer on the side. Conclusion, it's EXHAUSTING! I don't know how my parents and grandparents did it for so many years. But they have, and still do.

I can't say I have the work ethic, or stamina of the WWII generation. I can't say I have the energy or tenacity of Mom. Heck, I don't even have the servants heart of my little sister. I've barely started contributing to society and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

But I won't. I can't. My family has worked hard for generations.If Grandma was up at 4:00 am without fail making Grandpa's coffee every single day, how can I do any less. (Take this statement literally and you're missing the point. For the record, I don't get up that early, nor do I have any plans to start).

It doesn't matter if I don't have their endurance, or drive. What matters is I remember; it's my turn to pay it forward. 

2 comments:

  1. HOO-RAH!
    This makes me want to go be amazing!
    ...which may actually mean for me to stay where I am, taking care of chores. Soli Deo gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't stick to a live language we all understand can you?

    Translation; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqdDdvFXZ0

    ReplyDelete